Basil is a healthy herb. Basil is a terrific source of vitamin K, manganese, iron, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It’s also a good source of calcium and magnesium. Basil is very delicious and you can use it in salads, on pasta and sandwiches, with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, with fish and meat, and as a filling of chicken fillets. Basil is also great with oven vegetables and rice dishes.
There are many kinds of basil.
- Sweet basil: The most widely grown basil and renowned for its use in Italian dishes.
- Greek basil: Has a strong aroma but mild flavor, so it can be substituted for sweet basil.
- Thai basil: Has an anise-licorice flavor and is commonly used in Thai and Southeast Asian dishes.
- Cinnamon basil: Has a cinnamon-like flavor and scent. Commonly served with legumes or spicy, stir-fried vegetables.
- Lettuce basil: Features large, wrinkled, soft leaves with a licorice-like flavor. A great choice for tomato salads.